Residents of Ikorodu area of Lagos State flees their home’s en mass as Militants storm the area killing and abducting many…

Sharing is caring!

Day-3-Lagos-protest-300x250 Residents of Ikorodu area of Lagos State flees their home's en mass as Militants storm the area killing and abducting many...

Lagos residents in hundreds have fled their homes in Ishawo, Ikorodu, Lagos after alleged militants attacked the communities and killed no less than 12 people.

VON gathered that about 5 people are still missing after the attack which happened in the early hours of Sunday, April 9, after men believed to be pipeline vandals attacked the community.

All shops on Ishawo road were shut; few residents stood outside their homes counting their losses while others walk around, albeit carefully, looking for their missing loved ones, The Nation reports.

It was gathered that the gunmen earlier kidnapped more than nine persons including a two-year-old-boy, Chubuike Okeke.

 

A community leader, Raheem Olanrewaju, said Okeke was still in the kidnappers’ den. Others, he added, were rescued by police.

He said the kidnappers had contacted them and asked for N3,000 worth of recharge card to make what they called “an urgent call”.

He said: “A boy was kidnapped and they are yet to get back to us to tell us how much ransom we should bring. You can see that this place has become lonely. People have fled. No one knows what would happen next.

“They killed Osazie, a landlord and a two-year-old boy. The militants killed them. They also shot Mr. Ojo and his wife. They are in the hospital. A little girl and her mother sustained gunshot injuries as well. So many people were injured in the attack. I don’t know the name of the boy that was killed.

“The kidnappers have established contact and they said they have Chubuike in their custody. They demanded for N3,000 recharge card. They said they wanted to make urgent calls. They haven’t told us when they would release the kid nor demanded money for his release.

 

“We are scared. Those who are still here don’t have anywhere to go, otherwise, not a single soul would have been left. This is the worst attack we have experienced here. It’s clear these criminals have returned. Government should come to our rescue.”

A resident said the gunmen went from one compound to the other, breaking into people’s homes and taking them captives.

He said they shot sporadically from midnight till 5am, while people scampered to safety.

Community leaders yesterday alleged that members of Odua People’s Congress (OPC) in the area issued a warning to residents to relocate their families as the group planned to retaliate the attack.

According to them, a member of their group, one Osazie died in the attack and they planned to attack the community and flush out informants of the militants.

A resident of the area said: “Most people have fled not just because of the militants but because of the revenge the OPC members are planning. They have been meeting since Sunday and have vowed to kill the militants and their informants. They claimed to know their informants across Ikorodu.”

“So, a lot of people are scared because the clash would be massive. That’s why people are relocating.

VON recalls that a similar attack was launched on the residents last year and several people lost their lives and properties in the attack.

Facebook Comments