Two Nigerians were reportedly killed on Thursday, April 6, during a mob attack against foreigners in Polokwane, Limpopo Province, South Africa.
While Martins Cobham, Nigerian high commissioner to South Africa, confirmed the death of a Nigerian mechanic identified as Razak Ajao, Ralph Nwachukwu, a Nigerian in South Africa, said another Nigerian was also killed yesterday.
Cobham also disclosed that four other Nigerians sustained injuries in the mob attack.
He said: “I can confirm that a Nigerian, Razak Ajao, an auto mechanic was killed and four others injured.
“The Nigerian mission has formally registered a protest to the South African ministry of foreign affairs on this sad incident.
“The ministry said they would get back to the mission and that is the situation we are now.
“Meanwhile, the mission is meeting with officials of Nigeria Union on the incident to decide on the next line of action.
“We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed.”
He added that the mission had also reported the attacks to the South African police.
On his part, Ralph Nwachukwu, a South-African based Nigeria, could not give the name of the other victim.
However, he said the attack started when Nigerians living in that area were holding a meeting.
He said: “They held a meeting on Tuesday and today (Thursday) was supposed to be a follow up.
“It was at the peak of the meeting that the South African taxi drivers swooped on them and began to attack them with dangerous weapons that led to the death of two while many others were seriously injured.”
Nwachukwu said Nigerians, in a bid to register their complaint, went to police station but the commander at the station drove them out instead of listening to them.
He claimed that the commander threatened to shoot them if they did not leave the station.
VON recalls that just two weeks ago, the Nigeria Union in South Africa said five Nigerians had been attacked in Polokwane, Limpopo Province of that country in renewed xenophobic attacks.
Mr Collin Mgbo, Secretary of the Union in the Province said on telephone from Polokwane that three of the five Nigerians attacked were in critical condition in the hospital.